Monday, November 9, 2009

Happytime inspirational post!

The last two posts were, I admit, a tad cranky. Therefore, I have decided to post something a bit more positive. It feeds off of the themes of projection and blame found in the last two posts, but offers an uplifting outlook. It is from my most recent journal entry.

Upon pondering the indolence of my students:

It is impossible to live a truly enjoyable and fulfilling/gratifying/rewarding life without putting in any effort. We may experience the simple and temporary pleasures that material wealth can provide, but our lives will be limited if not down-right dissatisfying.
We are programmed in this culture to believe that what we experience is external. That things happen to us which we may blame on others, if negative, or attribute to luck, if positive. This attitude stifles growth. We are not able to learn from our missteps and adjust our behavior/outlook accordingly.
More importantly, we spend our lives waiting around for happiness to happen to us. Unfortunately when it does, it is often short-lived and quickly replaced with irritation, heartbreak or boredom. We are at the whim of every external breeze. We do not realize that what we get out of life and what we put into it are one and the same. The idea of working hard now for a later reward is bullshit. The hard work is the reward. Our lives are creations made up of perception and choice. If we are not willing to work hard for our dreams, then we don't deserve them...and wouldn't be able to appreciate them anyway.
The task is to find work that you love; then the work is the dream.

And secondly, this part is for Jeanette. Compiled from The Way of Aikido by George Leonard:

"I am the universe"...from a particular perspective, as is everyone/thing else.

On owning one's environment:
I am a co-owner of this world, as is everyone/thing else in it. I do not have 100% control as I must compromise with the other co-owners, but I control my part in it, and I have a voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment