Saturday, November 28, 2009

Anxiety Post

So I have a paper due in 2 weeks. I often find myself in this situation. I have just begun doing research and realize now that things are more complicated than I had anticipated. Things usually are. Yet, I worry endlessly about said complications as if I cannot navigate and conquer them. I know I can. This is the 7th semester of this...and really, it's the 10th year of it. Nonetheless, what I know and what I feel are often incongruous (the antonym of the word of the day! Aaah!).
Allow me to digress. I was in my brother's backyard with him a while back. He found that the wooden foundation that he had built for his shed had gathered a cesspool and was warping. He figured it would be quite a task to empty everything from the shed, remove the shed and find a way to rid the foundation of the cesspool, not to mention find a way to prevent the foundation from gathering another. Instead of getting frustrated and bitching about the predicament (as I likely would have done), he simply set to work immediately to solve the problem. In fact, he didn't perceive it as a problem at all. He perceived it as a challenge, a mini-adventure on which to embark. Long story short, he found a much simpler way than expected to rid the foundation of its cesspool and keep it at bay. It took only a couple of hours if that, and he never wasted a minute worrying or complaining.
This is the difference between my brother and I. He never spends a moment contemplating whether he is worthy of a task. He just does it. It needs doing. It gets done. That is all. I am a thinker, a worrier, an anticipator. I expect; I assume; I cogitate. It reminds me of the four men wander-philosophizing in Waking Life who stumble across an old man on a telephone pole. He is all action and no thought. They are all thought and no action. That is not to say that my brother does not think. He just appropriates is time efficiently. He is not paralyzed by excessive cogitation. Sometimes I wish my brain had an off switch. Then maybe, I could breathe a little easier.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like I need to read my Happytime Inspirational Post. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my life. I am you and Matthew is your brother. Seriously, just shut the fuck up Brain! ;)

    ReplyDelete